Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Benefits of Many

When I go somewhere with all three kids it is inevitable that someone will look at me and say something along the lines of “Wow. You must be busy!” And you ain’t kidding!! Some days I feel like I don’t even have time to sit down. I have learned to like cold coffee because the cup I pour at 8am is most likely still going to be in my cup at 10am when I finally getting around to having a sip. But the truth is I think that having multiple kids might actually be easier than having one. 

They are willing to inform you what everyone else is doing. Just in case I tuned it out and wasn’t aware they are there to tell me….

They said shit. They colored on the walls. They are taking things from the trash. They took my truck. I’m talking to Daddy and he can’t hear me.  The baby is crying. The baby is sleeping. I woke up the baby. I have poop. They have poop. They are looking at me. They won’t let me have the glue. Wait, what???? We aren’t doing a craft. Why do you have glue out?! 

This proves to be very helpful if I want to leave the room. You know who could go to the  bathroom without someone outside the door reporting what everyone is doing. 

Additionally you can kind of tune out the noise so that you don’t have to listen to Elmo la-la-la in Elmo’s world for the fifteenth time. Someone will most definitely tell you if someone else needs to go to time out. 

Follow the noise.
Whether it is crying or giggling, you can tell where the kids are in a heartbeat. They are never more than 6” apart from one another and when there is more than one there is certain to be an abundance of noise. No need to go looking to determine if they are in the living room, bedroom, closet, cupboard—just stop and listen then they will be found. 

Similarly, when things are quiet it is strange enough to jolt you into awareness regardless of what you are doing. Where are they??? Undoubtedly they will be deeply engaged in something they shouldn’t be. Oh there they are…hiding in the shower eating M & M’s. Since they are being nice to one another I think I’ll just pretend I don’t know. 

They really do love and enjoy each other. I think. Maybe. Kinda.
Greyson: Kinsley will you draw a picture with me?
Kinsley: No.
Greyson: But you’re my best friend.
Kinsley: No I’m not.
Greyson: Yes you are.
Kinsley: No I’m not.
Greyson: Yes  you are…

I think you can see the pattern the conversation follows from here. 

If one doesn't want it the other does. 
If one person doesn't want their pineapple because they want another string cheese, it is pretty likely the other is looking to have some more cheese but won't eat their pineapple. Enter bargain and trade. Already they are so well versed in economic principles. 

The idea of one person having one thing and another having something else is also a great parenting tool. Kinsley picked up all of her toys in under a minute. Do you want to race her? Hello competition.

You can lower your standards.
You can lower them really, really, REALLY low. When Greyson was a baby his shirt, pants, socks, bib all matched. If he spit up then I would change the entire outfit. Oh it makes my stomach hurt from laughter to think about doing that now. I already have 7+ loads of laundry in a week.

Currently Kinsley is wearing pajama's. No, not the pajama's she slept in but different pajama's--that is what she picked to wear today. Arlo has sweet potatoes on his shirt--it brings out the blue of his eyes. Greyson has a brown and orange shirt, khaki pants and red socks. He wore the red socks to bed and didn't want to take them off. Whatever floats your boat little people!

It’s like an assembly line.
Henry Ford should have teamed up with Nanny Jo Frost to write the ultimate parenting book. I literally line them up-change shirt, change shirt, change shirt, change pants, change pants, change pants, drink, drink, drink, tuck in good night, tuck in good night, tuck in good night. Etc. 

When I sit down (I know weird, right?!) it is gauranteed that I will have a friend to sit with me. If I am going to have one kid on my lap, might as well have 3. I recognize that as they grow this could become a problem. We’re working on adding a rotation system to our assembly line. 

When it comes to having a family, for us the thought was go big or go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment